[Wikimediaindia-l] Wikimedia India chapter

praveenp me.praveen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 05:46:07 UTC 2011

On 30 January 2011 07:57, CherianTinu Abraham<tinucherian at gmail.com>  wrote:

> Changed the subject line again.. ( Subject deviation again :) )
> Hi Praveen,
> May I ask , what is not really clear about the chapter ? Wikimedia India
> chapter is registered now as a legal entity in India [1] in Jan 2010 ; there
> is an Executive committee with 7 members , the office bearers are [2] Arun
> Ramarathnam,  President ; BalaSundaraRaman Lakshmanan, Secretary ; Arjuna
> Rao Chavala, Treasurer etc
> May be it is time for the chapter to open up the membership to the
> community?
> or even making the agenda&  meeting minutes of the Wikimedia India chapter
> EC available to all like the Wikimedia Foundation Board [3] ( so that these
> confusions to "common Wikimedians" can be avoided) ?
> If there are still any misunderstandings/unclear things, the EC members must
> be happy to answer them.
> I'm all excited to see the Wikimedia India chapter getting more active and
> the chapter&  community working closely in the coming days.
> [1] http://wikimedia.in/wiki/Chapter_Registration_accomplished
> [2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_India/MoA-PostChapComVer
> [3] http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Meetings
>
> Regards
> Tinu Cherian
> N.B. I am not speaking on behalf of the chapter , neither am I a EC
> member/ordinary member. My understandings are based on various threads on
> the mailing lists.

:)

I believe I've sent a couple of mails on this matter. And on a quick
search I found my last query is not answered :(

BTW don't interpret my queries as I am a candidate for membership. I do
not and will not want any kind of membership there, I've my limitations.
But I want it open, I want clear communication, I want answers, I want a
clear view of Its procedures and actions. And I am certain that we need
more "ground based" members, who can effectively communicate common
users and holding wiki ideology.

I expect encouragements from a "chapter" and "its members". But I found
no encouragements but teasing from that side in the parent thread. I'm
sorry If I hurt anyone; But I really have to ask my doubts, I am an
Indian Wikimedian :)

On Sunday 30 January 2011 09:26 AM, Gautam John wrote:
>   we still trying to find our feet here. Suggestions are welcome,
> please.

In that case what was the urgency to such a premature creation?

> As for membership, as soon as we have our bank account which should
> happen in four weeks or so.
I believe I am clear above. May I know how you are connected wikimedia
communities? I don't understand that how a man reluctant to edit wikies
(UL
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ACentralAuth&target=GKJohn>)
is so passionate to lead other users from WMIN.