[Wikimediaindia-l] troubleshooting Wikipedia for schools offline project

Nikhil Sheth nikhil.js at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 12:08:41 UTC 2011

Hi Emmanuel and All,

I've re-christened the Wikipedia For Schools Offline Edition as WFSOE so I
can use a short form ;)

Updates:
I downloaded the 2.x GB pre-indexed kiwix+zim  zip file from kiwix.org. It
had a problem on extracting - the .zim file was broken. Emmanuel or folks
from Kiwix, could you check? I hope the problem was only on my side.
Link: http://download.kiwix.org/portable/wikipedia_en_for_schools.zip(2718mb)

Fortunately I already had gotten the wikipedia for schools .zim file
separately, and put it here - and now it works perfectly. The pre-indexed
version is much better and I'll be going to the school and replacing what I
had previously installed with this version.

I'm uploading the repackaged and working version on my mirror site (this
time compressed in 7-zip .7z format and also split, by 7-zip only, into
27x100mb parts):
http://www.4shared.com/dir/cwqa0nnC/WFSOE_Full_pre-indexed_with_sc.html
(give it a day or two to upload fully)

...And also have put up just the kiwix software in that package, without the
.zim file.
http://www.4shared.com/file/_yQEKn2r/WFSOE_with_kiwix-09alpha7_with.html
(107mb)

So, people who already have the schools-wikipedia-full-20081023-rc5.zim file
can simply put it in and start using it.
This whole folder, downloaded by either of the above options, can then be
directly copied over to a DVD or USB drive and it will become an
auto-launching thing then.

I've made a detailed blog post of this whole process with screenshots,
including shots of the working encyclopedia.
http://nikhilsheth.blogspot.com/2011/01/troubleshooting-wikipedia-for-schools.html

I'll make these updates on the wiki page soon.
http://education.wikia.com/wiki/Wikipedia_For_Schools_Offline_Edition

It would be great if someone can download from the above links and let me
know if it's all working properly or not. Do let me know if I'm doing
anything wrong here.

Cheers,
Nikhil Sheth
+91-966-583-1250