[Wikimediaindia-l] WikiPuneri - people coming together in Pune

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 03:14:55 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 06:46, Ashwin Baindur <ashwin.baindur at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Wikipedians in Pune have come together to contribute to Wikipedia and
> Commons. They have formed a Facebook cum Flickr group:
> http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_181231605233363
> http://www.flickr.com/groups/1605961@N23/
> The piece below is the philosophy behind the group. It also gives details of
> some activities we have already carried out.
> Its notable as a ready-made explanation that you can use for your own
> evangelism and available under CC Attribution Sharealike.
> Warm regards,
> Ashwin Baindur
> WIKIPUNERI (Facebook & Flickr group)
>
> Before I explain what WikiPuneri group does, I would like to explain in
> short about Wikimedia Commons. Wikimedia Commons is not an encyclopaedia, it
> is a media repository. Wikipedia, as you all know, is the free online
> encyclopaedia which anyone can edit. There are a total of 278 Wikipedias in
> the world, each in a different language. The English Wikipedia is the
> largest with 3,528,428 articles. As of now there are twenty wikipedias in
> Indian languages - including in Hindi, Bengali, Tamil, Malayalam, Marathi,
>  blah, blah and blah. Of these Marathi Wikipedia is the third in size with
> over 30,000 articles.  In addition there are twenty more wikipedias in other
> Indian languages in the process of being developed. Now why I have mentioned
> this is because all of these use photographs, video clips and sound files.
> Now, it is a waste of space for each Wikipedia to load its images
> exclusively for itself. Hence the Wikimedia Foundation has created another
> project called as Wikimedia Commons or in short just Commons. Commons is the
> media repository. All photos, video clips and sound files are uploaded here
> just once and they immediately become available to all wikipedias.
>
> The number of images on Wikimedia Commons about an important subject say
> Pune city is important. That is because all the images on Commons are free.
> When I say free, I mean free as in free speech as well as in free beer. You
> are free to use them as you wish, even commercially, as long as you
> attribute whose image you have used and as long as you make the material
> available under a free license. These images on Commons are placed under one
> of a variety of licenses that give you these rights and permissions - this
> kind of license is called a free license, which allows you to use the images
> as you wish, as long as you attribute and give free license to people to use
> your work in turn. The most common free license used around the world is the
> Creative Commons Attribution Sharealike license.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Text_of_Creative_Commons_Attribution-ShareAlike_3.0_Unported_License
>
> Why? Why this talk about free licenses? Because images are usually
> copyrighted with all rights reserved by the creator. Because a person who is
> [...]

In the broader context, I know of Sarai in Delhi who have used CC
licenses in their books.

Please see http://www.sarai.net/publications/occasional/floss-is-not-just-good-for-teeth

and more specifically
http://www.sarai.net/publications/occasional/contested-commons-trespassing-publics-a-public-record

I wish there was some update or something to the second one.

Then from bangalore I know of Pratham Books
http://prathambooks.org/home.htm who do use the CC license in their
works.

While I had the pleasure of having couple of books from Sarai when I
went the last time there (in Delhi), not so much idea about Pratham
but still it is good to know and share that such an alternative
exists.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल