[Wikimediaindia-l] (OT) On the importance of Unicode

Shiju Alex shijualexonline at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 04:42:00 UTC 2011

Even though Central Government has adopted Unicode as the encoding standard,
the case is not the same with most State Governments. As far as I know only
few state goverments (Tamil Nadu, Punjab, Kerala,...) had adopted Unicode
standard. Many are still in the ASCII era.

On input methods - is there anything of a best practice or even a

Government notification about an input standard?

I haven't seen any notification regarding this yet. But InScript is
officially/unofficially adopted as the default input scheme. That is why it
is part school syllabus in some states.