[Wikimediaindia-l] (OT) On the importance of Unicode

Gautam John gautam at prathambooks.org
Thu Feb 24 04:11:52 UTC 2011

On 24 February 2011 09:15, Nikhil Sheth <nikhil.js at gmail.com> wrote:

> Great discussion, but I wonder why I didn't see any real, easy, doable,
> inexpensive, quickfix solution put forth that every Indian on the internet
> can begin using immediately to get around the Unicode Vs custom Fonts issue.

Sure - it's great to see that there are multiple input methods, some
local and some on the Web that allow for Unicode encoded text but I
was actually coming at it from a legacy issue - there is tons of
'digital' content that is not accessible - how do we make it
accessible and there is a great hesitancy for certain verticals to use
Unicode on the basis of the 'lack of fonts' issue. I was trying to
build a case as to why Unicode is important and how we could increase
the diversity of available fonts.

Thank you.

Best,

Gautam