[Wikimediaindia-l] Flickr alternative to Photowalks

suma addoor sumaaddoor at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 14:37:30 UTC 2011

We organised "Bangalore Loves Wikipedia" in Bangalore, and had a good
response with 15 photography enthusiasts turning up for the first one
(starting from Rangashankara to Freedom Park).

The second time around we had a photowalk at Basavangudi ending at Bull
Temple( Bugle Rock Park) for which we had 28 people participating.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hpnadig/5418774809/

We still have the challenge of sorting out thousands of pictures that were
taken during these walks.

I think the response will improve as we go and I feel that more photowalks
should happen all around the country. We should also be able to figure out a
better way of dealing with the large volume of photos that are the outcome
of these photowalks.

In our case we organised this in collaboration with an already existing
group of photowalkers. Interestingly, the number of participants grew when
we started out with the theme "Bangalore Loves Wikipedia". It could probably
be useful to have such collaborations in other cities.

There is already one initiated in a similar way at Mysore, which is also
picking up.

Regards,
Suma