[Wikimediaindia-l] Time to assume good faith and carry on ++

CherianTinu Abraham tinucherian at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 17:21:51 UTC 2011

Well said, Ashwin ...

A few good things... Some mistakes .. some goof ups...lots
of misunderstandings, concerns and anger..We are all tired... But it is time
to move on.

Let us discuss how we can be more productive, instead of any personal
mudslinging. A few humble suggestions from my side.

1) There is a wide spread agreement for the need for more admins for the
India mailing list. It is important that these people should be neutral, and
in good standing & possibly not connected with the chapter or EC.

2) Let us appreciate the hard work and the struggle behind setting up the
chapter ( by the current EC members and many others) through a very painful
registration process.

3) Like Ashwin commented, let us give some time for the chapter to stablise
and operate. It is an important action item from the chapter to open the
membership asap and conduct a general body meeting as time permits.

4) It is important that there is a clear communication between the chapter /
EC and the community. Hence forth, it will be good that
the Executive committee announce the agenda of the meetings and make public
the meeting minutes & resolutions as early as possible.

5) Re-electing office bearers among the EC members each time is a very bad
idea, IMHO. Even if there is any plan of such re-election, kindly announce
the elections in public & in advance. How & Why the election takes place is
still a dark area for all of us..In future, we would like to know who voted
for whom or whether the election was unanimous and the reason why a
re-election is needed in the first place. Request not to redirect us to MoA
as a reason for re-elections.

6) In line with the process of Wikimedia Foundation itself,  the resolutions
of EC should be made public with information on who supported, opposed and
abstained. A collective decision doesn't mean right to individual members'
stand, objection & opinion can be ignored or go undisclosed.

7) I think it is a good idea to have a non-voting member, appointed by the
Wikimedia Foundation in the EC as an observer ( future National Program
Director ?) . The member must have no voting rights but have access to
meetings and exec mailing list. This member should be in good standing with
Foundation , other EC members and the community in general.

8) Any international travel representing the India chapter should be
announced.

9) It is important to ask hard questions on this mailing list to
ensure transparency & accountability , but kindly avoid personal attacks.
Time to formulate an email etiquette policy page for the India list ?

10) This mailing list continues to unmoderated except with those mails which
are obvious spam.

11) The India chapter should be/will be a great enabler for the growth of
the Wikimedia movement in the country. Let us support it whole-heartedly.

All the best wishes.

Regards
Tinu Cherian