[Wikimediaindia-l] Wikibasha and code signature

Bala Jeyaraman sodabottle at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 07:16:11 UTC 2011

Microsoft's translation tool Wikibasha creates a code snippet like this -
<!-- WikiBhasha v=1 time=2011-2-6:11:20:20:309--> at the bottom of the
article everytime it is used to edit wikipedia pages. I found this out when
the MS representative made sample edits to Tamil wikipedia. He claims that
they need this to track the edits made using wikibasha.

I believe this practice is highly disruptive because, adding such a
signature to the bottom of the article is
a)tantamount to claiming that the entire article is the work of wikibasha
b) If we allow this practice, then all automated tools will start adding
their code snippets, bloating the page with useless code signatures.

wikipedians who took part in yesterday's carte blanche wiki workshop at
chennai have conveyed this to the representative and have recommended using
the tag in edit summaries instead. But i have no idea if Microsoft will
actually listen to us.

I thought i would inform the wider indic wiki communities regarding this. If
wikibasha is used in your respective wiki's and keeps adding this signature,
please urge the wikibasha developers to stop this practice.

regards
Bala