[Wikimediaindia-l] Chapter-Foundation: Co-Ordination Calls / Meeting - Updates & Minutes

Arjuna Rao Chavala arjunaraoc at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 05:00:51 UTC 2011

Hi Srikanth R,

Please allow me to share my view.

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 11:39 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <
parakara.ghoda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hisham, I don't understand why the Executive Committee offer to be
> informed 48 HOURS in advance of the community. Isn't Wikipedia a
> community based system? If the chapter or trust is everything then
> what is the community sitting here to do? I know I sound rude, but I
> fail to understand why some people get prior preference. Especially
> after I spend an entire day talking to newcomers telling them that
> everyone in Wiki is equal.

I am some times puzzled by assumption  that people have about   Wikipedia
policies for individuals related to editing a wiki page online apply
equally to real world Wikimedia organisations with accountabilties to
various stakeholders including Government.  I am also concerned about  the
assumed separation between community and chapter based on some recent mails
to the India list.

Let me elaborate my thoughts on this.

Chapter members including EC members are part of community and serve
Community and the movement.  It is just the level and structure of
engagement of a person that determines whether he/she is part of  Chapter.
If a person reads Wikipedia, he/she is member of  community. If a person
contributes to Wikipedia, he/she is part of smaller subset of
communitycalled editors. If a person would like to promote Wikipedia
in real world,
he could do as an individual or become a member of chapter,  leverage the
benefits of the legal entity called "Wikimedia chapter", get affiliated
with SIGs  and  contribute.

Chapter IRC is open for everyone. Even membership is open for every Indian
aged above 18. So I would request everyone to treat Chapter as a subset of
community with more focus on growing the movement in real world.

Coming to your specific question about the plan for  sharing public
communications in advance, here is my view. As I understand, Trust is an
independent legal entity contributing to Wikimedia movement in India. So
the coordination calls are a mechanism to share plans and issues so that
the overall effectiveness can be improved.  Advance notice for any public
communication was agreed so that  each entity could provide the other
feedback if any, if such communication were to attribute some things to the
other or lead to confusion in the stakeholders.  It is mutual. I am sorry
the minutes did not reflect the same, though it was discussed and agreed.

Hope the above helps.  I request Hisham to share his view as well.

Cheers

Arjuna Rao Chavala
President, Wikimedia India