[Wikimediaindia-l] Pune August 2011 Meetup

Ashwin Baindur ashwin.baindur at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 17:13:43 UTC 2011

A write up by Rishabh Tatiraju, the youngest member of Pune community!

Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur

Heavy rains lashed the city and we were expecting very less people in the
meetup. Despite the torrential rain, ten of our brave
WikiPuneri enthusiasts managed to join the meetup on time. We had two new
young faces joining our meetup, both pursuing their higher studies in
Sinhagad College.

The meetup commenced a little late than the scheduled time of 6:00 PM.
Ashwin Baindur enlightened us with some facts about the Oral Citations
Project. The Oral Citations Project is a strategic research project intiated
byAchal Prabhala of Bangalore community and funded by the Wikimedia
Foundation to help overcome a lack of published material in emerging
languages on Wikipedia. A video presentation of the same was  also seen (View
Video Here)<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:People-are-Knowledge.ogv>
.

In the final moments of the meetup, Mandar Kulkarni orated about Wiki
Conference India which is to be held in Mumbai in November 2011. He educated
us about the different ways in which we can participate in the conference
and be a part of it. With this, we ended the meetup by about 8:00 PM.