[Wikimediaindia-l] URL Shortener in Tamil Wikipedia + URLs for Indic Wikipedia

Yuvi Panda yuvipanda at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 01:44:51 UTC 2011

After talking with Srikanth for a bit more, I was able to quickly
hackup this mediawiki extension[1] that does exactly the same thing
tawp.in does now, but in the same domain. So you'll have URLs like
http://ta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:ShortUrl/262. While definitely
longer than http://tawp.in/r/262, it can be made much shorter via a
simple apache mod_rewrite so http://ta.wikipedia.org/r/262 also works.
The advantage of having it as an extension is, ofcourse, that the
wikipedia is no longer dependent on code run on a 3rd party server (in
this case, tawp.in).

[1]: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ShortUrl

Feedback welcome :)

P.S. My first ever mediawiki extension. I've verified it works, but
testing would be welcome too :)
--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog