[Wikimediaindia-l] Gyanpad (Knowledge kiosk) web app: Easy interface to search Wikipedia and sister sites in Indian languages

BalaSundaraRaman sundarbecse at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 18 03:34:12 UTC 2010

I see.

- Sundar

________________________________
From: arjuna rao chavala <arjunaraoc at googlemail.com>
To: wikimediaindia-l at lists.wikimedia.org
Sent: Fri, September 17, 2010 8:51:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Gyanpad (Knowledge kiosk) web app: Easy
interface to search Wikipedia and sister sites in Indian languages

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 3:07 PM, BalaSundaraRaman <sundarbecse at yahoo.com> wrote:

(copying my response from another list)

>Good work, Arjuna. (Though not a fan of phonetic keyboards that rely on  English
>alphabet sounds due to long term negative impact,)
 I agree. May be some people are comfortable with that.  We have to wait for
Google  to   provide  inscript keyboards for other languages or make
inscript/alphabetic keyboards ourselves.

I tried Tamil  and Malayalam and they both work very well. One suggestion would
be to  handle backspace to erase the original input. For example, if I've typed
aa in Malayalam, and press backspace, it should retain 'a', no?

The backspace works on the converted unicode characters.
If you type ra,  backspace will delete the whole unicode letter. If you type
raa  to reflect long  vowel, one backspace will  make it equivalent to ra.

If you are starting the word with aa, it becomes  a single unicode  character
corresponding to long  vowel (A).

Regards
Arjun