[Wikimediaindia-l] New Stats- Global perspective about Wikipedia Page edits

arjuna rao chavala arjunaraoc at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 8 04:14:24 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 3:20 AM, theo10011 <de10011 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone
>
> Just wanted to inform everyone that there are some new statistics available
> about global Wikipedia usage for Q3 of this year.
> --cut--
> The most surprising information is in the language-wise breakdown of edits
> per country:
>

> http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportVisitsPerLanguageBreakdown.htm#
>
> The first Indian language on the list by 0.03% of global share is Hindi,
> followed by Telugu, Malayalam and Marathi, all at 0.02% of global Usage. the
> most surprising statistics is that the largest Page views to these languages
> is not from India but the US sometimes more than several times the number of
> views from India. Tamil is the only language where this disparity as its
> lowest.
>
> Interesting update. But I have a doubt  your conclusion on one point about
language page view statistic, based on my analysis of localized firefox
users.<http://tech4society.blogspot.com/2010/03/firefox-indic-language-usage-is-not.html>

I feel that if a multinational company headquarted in US  has a set of IP
addresses, it can use those addresses from India as well. Or the proxy might
be US IP. In which case the Indian page views can be treated as US page
views. If the number of edits from India have gone up in the respective
language, the views also would go up, as the views for the edits are not
removed from the total views.

Cheers
Arjun