[Wikimediaindia-l] Vector skin - Adding check box to control the transliteration script

Shiju Alex shijualexonline at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 18:13:56 UTC 2010

Hello All,

Almost all the Indian language wiki projects use a transliteration program
(a javacript)  for typing text in the respective language/script. For
Monobook, many wikis placed a check box near the search box to switch ON/OFF
the transliteration script. For example, see this image,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/usability/6/62/Monobook.png

Recently when wikis switched over to Vector skin,* this control box/check
box is disappeared. *

*NOTE:* The default skin of all the wiki projects (including all the Indian
Language wiki projects) moved from the *Monobook* skin to the new
*Vector*skin on
* 2010 September 1*. Few Indian language wikipedias (Malayalam, Telugu, and
Bengali) moved to Vector interface little earlier (*2010 June 30*).

After Malayalam Wikipedia switched over to new interface (vector), many
Indian language wikipedians (especially Hindi, Bhojpuri, Marathi) have asked
us about fixing this issue so that check box will appear in Vector skin
also. But till today we were unable to find a solution.

Finally today, one Malayalam Wikipedian, Sadik Khaid
<http://ml.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sadik_Khalid>is able to fix this issue
and the *check box problem is solved for the Vector skin.* The code to add
check box (to control the transliteration script) near the Search box is
available in Sadik's test wiki at *
http://lab.dhudhu.com/index.php?title=Mediawiki:TranslitPatch.js *

Copy the code displayed there and paste it inside *Mediawiki:Common.js* page
of your wiki.  You need to place inside the *addTextEvent()* function code.
Following customization need to be done before placing it inside
Mediawiki:Common.js

*Part One*

*linktohelp.title= "To Enable or Disable xx language, Shrotcut: add shortcut
here";*

You need to change the message according to your requirement. In Malayalam
wiki we changed this line to *linktohelp.title= "മലയാളത്തിലെഴുതുവാൻ ഈ ഉപധി
സ്വീകരിക്കുക, കുറുക്കുവഴി: Ctrl + M";*

Ctrl + M is the shortcut key that we use in malayalam wiki to control the
tranlieration script. In some wikis it is Ctrl + G and in some others it is
ESC key.

*Part Two*

*linktohelp.appendChild( document.createTextNode('Translit xx language') );*

In Malayalam wiki, we changed this line to *linktohelp.appendChild(
document.createTextNode('മലയാളത്തിലെഴുതുക') );*

This is the message that will appear near the search box. In Malayalam Wiki
it is *മലയാളത്തിലെഴുതുക*  In wikis that use Devanagri it might be *देवनागरी*.

Please let *Sadik *know in case you are facing some issue to fix this. His
email id is *sadik.khalid at gmail.com*

Thanks
Shiju Alex

 .