[Wikimediaindia-l] Proposal: Wiki Marathon

Sudhanwa Jogalekar sudhanwa.com at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 08:04:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:21 PM, CherianTinu Abraham
<tinucherian at gmail.com> wrote:
> How will we quantify the efforts on the same day without a theme ? Blind
> editing on anything can be "done on any day". If we can stick to a theme (
> any) , we can see the results by the end of the day.
>
> Commenwealth was just a suggestion of theme and can be replaced by any
> other.
> Let people interested in creating new articles , create them on various
> language wikis.  The articles may not neccassarily be full done, stubs are
> more than enough to start.
> Let people interested, help in categorization related to those articles.
> Let people interested in transaltion, help that way.
> Let those interested in photographs, go hunt images on flickr with proper
> licenses, for those articles.
> etc etc..
>
>  Just my thoughts, that's all ... If most people feel this is too
> restrictive, then we can have free editing too :)
>
> "Shut up and Edit" was indeed inspired by "shut up and hack". :)
> I didnt know that many people didnt like that phrase then.
> In that case, let it be better called as Wiki Marathon / WikiParty.

May be "WIKI-thon"  or "wiki-mashup" or "wiki-sprint" (typical FOSS
community event styles) could be a more acceptable name.
The idea is really good but we need to do some basework.

Can we do some trial sessions across various cities first. Lets have
common subject/s for adding wiki content in various languages.

After these trials in the next 2 months, we can possibly have a
Wiki-thon on 26th January. That could be a good media event where all
such teams might be connected on audio-video using skype/gtalk etc.
Will be a great interactive session. Being a holiday and if enough
publicity is given to the event, this could become a great starter for
wiki awareness and adding new contributors.

Comments, suggestion welcome.

-Sudhanwa

> Regards
> Tinu Cherian
>
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Ravishankar <ravidreams at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Tinu,
>>
>> As others have opined let this be free to do any Wiki activity following
>> the Wiki way. This will also help new comers who may be afraid / hesitant to
>> edit. They can even do simple tasks like fixing typos.
>>
>> Let us a get a Meta page created and post banners in all Indic Wikis.
>>
>> Ravi

www.projects4students.com