[Wikimediaindia-l] Tamil Encyclopedia merge into Wikipedia.

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 06:54:32 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Shiju Alex <shijualexonline at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a query.
>
> What is the license of Tamil Kalaikalanjiam? Did Tamil Nadu government or
> Tamil Virtual University had officially announced that this Encyclopedia is
> released in Public Domain or in some creative commons license so that we can
> reuse the content. If yes, we can very well reuse the content. Otherwise it
> will be copyright violation. So kindly verify this.
>
> Let us not assume that since it is published by Government it will be in
> pubic domain. In India that is not the case.

If it is released under a free license, it can be transcribed on Tamil
Wikisource.

http://ta.wikisource.org/wiki/

The software to do transcriptions on Wikisource is not enabled on
Tamil Wikisource, but it can be enabled once these messages have been
translated.

http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special%3ATranslate&task=untranslated&group=ext-proofreadpage&language=ta&limit=100

Here is an example of the Wikisource transcription software with a
completed work:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Index:Sanskrit_Grammar_by_Whitney_p1.djvu

and an incomplete project:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Index:Dictionary_of_National_Biography_volume_03.djvu

> In 2008 December, Kerala Government has officially announced that it is
> changing  the license of similar encyclopedic project in Malayalam
> (sarvavijanakosam) to Free documentation license so that Malayalam wiki
> community can reuse its content to develop Malayalam wikipedia. Governmant
> has officially announced it. Kerala Government has also set up its own wiki
> (to help us) for Sarvavijanakosam and they are slowly digitizing the content
> and posting in its own wiki (http://mal.sarva.gov.in). They have completed
> some 2,900 articles now. We are reusing this content to enhance many of the
> existing articles. But we are not copy pasting  the entire content due to
> various reasons. The main reason is, the content need to rewritten as per
> the style of wikipedia.

The wikisource transcription software is a mediawiki extension, so it
could be added to mal.sarva.gov.in.

--
John Vandenberg