[Wikimediaindia-l] Making wikipedia more relevant to your needs

Mahitgar from Marathi Wikipedia mahitgar at yahoo.co.in
Sat Oct 24 07:14:39 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

Wikimedia Strategywiki  is trying to find out how they can improve reach and usability in Indian context.Previously on mr-wiki yahoo group I had taken online poll and found one of the glaring defficiancy  in reaching out to the people. While other Marathi Language Websites get better word of mouth publicity and so they do have more editorial pool. Where as when it comes wikipedians my online survey shows that at least marathi wikipedians  are reluctant to talk to their friends and family members about wikipedia.

And it is not about others it is a myself too,WHile I am a strong supporter of Wikipedia specialy local languge ones still, usually  I do avoid to discuss about marathi languge wikipedia among my friends and family.

First of all let us discuss frankly and understand what is the reason of this reluctance? Wikipedia is too serious or boring a subject to discuss , wikipedia concept level  is a too difficult to explain to others ?Objections and negative perceptions of the people are too deficult to handle?  Wikipedia is not usefull to you in your own day to day life ? Wikipedia is not beneficial to your freind ? Wikipedia is not beneficial to your family? Wikipedia is not beneficial for my , my friend and family education , career/office work and rmy revenue ?

To which questions your answers goes yes ? If yes then is possible to elaborate or suggest a better solution that can make wiki movement more relevant to Indian context

Thanks and Regards
Mahitgar

      Now, send attachments up to 25MB with Yahoo! India Mail. Learn how. http://in.overview.mail.yahoo.com/photos