[Wikimedia Brasil] Fwd: [Chapters] Common promotional material

Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton rodrigo.argenton em gmail.com
Sábado Maio 2 03:17:59 UTC 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bence Damokos <bdamokos em gmail.com>
Date: 2009/4/10
Subject: [Chapters] Common promotional material
To: chapters em wikimedia.ch

Hi all,
I would like to bring to your attention an area of interchapter cooperation
that came up among a few of us while visiting the office of WM DE. The idea
in a nutshell is that it is cheaper and more efficient to create lots of PR
objects (mugs, stickers, keychains, pencils) together and then distribute it
among the chapters than to have them made in smaller quantities again and
again all over the world.
Apart from price benefits this would lead to some uniformity and allow newer
chapters the possibility to order these products for their community
withouth having to recreate the designs all over. This would leave time for
each chapter to work on their own cool culture specific buttons, T-shirts,
etc. while also having access to the "basics".

While there might be some caveats (like localised project names and logos;
customs regulations) I believe this could work if we cooperated on this and
a chapter with the necessary organisational power or access to the
manufacturing base would take it upon themselves to coordinate this.
If any items were to be created they could easily be sent via post in Europe
and given to the other chapters at Wikimania.

For some inspiration on what we could do together, please take a look at
this page on internal:
http://internal.wikimedia.org/wiki/Promotional_Products.

I hope you are as fond of the idea as I am  and this will become a succesful
avenue of cooperation.
Even if common manufacturing doesn't happen in the next few months, I would
consider it a step forward if each chapter uploaded a picture (or
description) of what they currently have on the chapters wiki.

Best regards,
Bence Damokos
WM Hungary (personal view)

Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton