[Wikimedia Brasil] wikipedia and related projects logos

Alexandre Hannud Abdo abdo em usp.br
Sábado Janeiro 17 17:58:54 UTC 2009

Hello Mike,

 I'm writing you because we might have been to vague on our first
request.

 By "we" I mean the group of volunteers who, after receiving the
authorization to start a wikimedia chapter in brazil, decided to remain
in informality, establishing ourselves as a social movement instead of
an NGO.

 We'll write to the chapters mailing list about this soon, but in short
NGOs in Brazil are not a trivial matter (they are targets of huge
incentives - not to say pressure - for corruption and misuse) and to
avoid a split among the core volunteers we agreed not to establish a
formal chapter.

 Now, about the event, which is a huge lan-party, subsidized by
big-telecom, but organized by people largely interested in online
collaboration:

 We are not a part of the organization in any way, nor we want (or even
approve of) the logo to be used in direct association with the event.

 The use of the logo would be restricted to the slides for a
presentation we were invited to give, during the event, as collaborators
of wikimedia projects.

 We think that having the logos on the presentation would be good so
people could later identify what we're talking about. The event is huge
and it's possible that lots of people there won't be familiar with
Wikimedia's projects.

 In addition, we could also use the logo for a small (A4) banner to help
people know where to find the workshops we will hold about participating
on the wikimedia platform, but that is not so important as we can use
plain text.

 If none of that is possible, could you be more clear on why, or point
us to the documentation, so we don't bother you with unnecessary
requests in the future?

 Thank you and best regards,

ale
~Ni!~