[Wikimedia Brasil] Fwd: [Wikimedia Chapters Reports] Wikimedia Hungary chapter report, November--December 2008

nevio carlos de alarcão nevinhoalarcao em gmail.com
Sexta Janeiro 9 12:59:34 UTC 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Samat <samat78 em gmail.com>
Date: 2009/1/8
Subject: [Wikimedia Chapters Reports] Wikimedia Hungary chapter report,
November--December 2008
To: Wikimedia Chapters Reports <chapters-reports em lists.wikimedia.org>

Available on meta at <
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters/Reports/Wikim%C3%A9dia_Magyarorsz%C3%A1g/November%E2%80%93December_2008

Available on our website at <
http://wiki.media.hu/wiki/Report_November%E2%80%93December_2008>

Wikimedia Hungary Report
Volume I, issue #2
November–December 2008
Prepared by: Tamás Mészöly and Bence Damokos

This is the second report of the Hungarian Wikimedia chapter, Wikimédia
Magyarország about the events covering November and December of 2008.

== Activities ==
=== November 2008 ===
* On 3 November Wikimédia Magyarország has been recognised as an official
chapter of Wikimedia Foundation.
* On the same day the Metropolitan Court of Budapest in a not yet legally
binding warrant registered the association and assigned it the
classification "organisation of public utility". The warrant came into force
on 24 November. (A Hungarian press statement [1] was prepared for the
occasion, and the news was covered [2] in the Hungarian Wikinews).
* An e-mail account was set up in the OTRS system of Wikimedia: ''wm-hu {at}
wikimedia.org.''
* A server and a new homepage was set up, and made public (21 November). The
design of the official website available at http://wiki.media.hu has been
inspired by the homepages of the Dutch [3] and Italian [4] chapters.
* Wikimedia Hungary, in cooperation with Wikimedia Nederlands prepared and
sent a response [5] to the European Commission green paper entitled
"Copyright in the Knowledge Economy" [6].

=== December 2008 ===
* A board meeting was held on 2 December to decide on financial matters of
the association.
* During the following week we have registered at the Hungarian Tax
Authority (APEH, 4 December) and opened a bank account (8 December).
* We posted an only membership form so that new members could join. For
purposes of membership fee administration we expect new joinees in the new
year.
* The planning of the programs and activities for 2009 continued throughout
the month.

== Contacts ==
* We have participated at a meeting of the Hungarian Association of the
History of Science, Technology and Education at the boardroom of the
library of ELTE [7] University.
* We were also represented at the third annual regional conference of
Wikimedia Srbije in Belgrade (19-21 December). The conference has seen the
presentations of Wikipedians and experts of different educational field, and
it was a good opportunity to meet the invited Wikipedians and chapter
representatives from Srbia, Croatia, Poland, Germany and Bosnia and
Herzegovina. We were invited by and our participation was supported by
Wikimedia Serbia, for which we are most thankful.

== Fundraiser ==
* On 15 December we have accepted the fundraising agreement of the Wikimedia
Foundation (WMF), and after it was signed by them too we have been a
participating chapter in the annual fundraising drive.
* Since 1 July 2008 there have been over 170 donations in Hungarian forints
to the WMF, totalling over $2600. Most of this was received during the
year-end fundraising period, with a noticeable increase after the Hungarian
translation of Jimmy Wales' appeal went live. Our chapter during the same
period has received about $150 worth of donations. Fundraising activities
are ongoing at press time.

== News from the Hungarian Wikimedia projects ==
* The Hungarian Wikisource has reached 6000 articles on 10 November, and a
further milestone of 7500 articles was achieved on 13 December.
* The Hungarian Wikipedia reached 110,000 articles on 12 November, and the
350 featured articles mark on 12 December.
* The Hungarian Wikibooks has reached 5000 articles on 18 November.
* The Hungarian Wikiquote has more than 750 articles since 25 November.
* On 17 November the Flagged Revisions extension was switched on the
Hungarian Wikipedia. (A news release [8] was prepared and the news was
reported [9] in the Hungarian Wikinews.)

== Press and media appearance ==
* Article about the vandalisms in the English Wikipedia articles of John
McCain and Barack Obama after the presidential election [10] (index.hu - one
of the big online news outlets).
* Articles published in connection with a Wikipedian meetup held in Győr on
15 November:
** Kisalföld [11] (regional newspaper);
** nol.hu [12].
* Article about the introduction of the Flagged Revisions extension [13] (
folder.hu).
* Articles about the Lutz Heilmann affair:
** itcafe.hu [14];
** Népszava [15] (national daily).
* Article about the reliability of Wikipedia articles about pharmaceuticals
based on Kevin A. Clauson's (and his team's) study [16] (index.hu).
* Article about the Stanton Foundation grant [17] (Magyar Online).
* Articles about the UK blocking of a Wikipedia article [18]:
** sg.hu [19];
** azta.hu [20];
** origo.hu [21] (one of the big online news outlets).

[1]:
http://wiki.media.hu/wiki/Megalakult_a_Wikim%C3%A9dia_Magyarorsz%C3%A1g_Egyes%C3%BClet
[2]:
http://hu.wikinews.org/wiki/Megalakult_a_Wikim%C3%A9dia_Magyarorsz%C3%A1g_Egyes%C3%BClet