[Wikimediaau-l] open wiki editing for WMAU?

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 11:56:28 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:45 PM, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:20 PM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
>> that is not the process PM, and the process is not yet public so
>> please stop discussing it here.
>
> Would a separate wiki be a better idea? That way the committee
> wouldn't need to worry about the unofficial content being confused for
> anything they'd approved. And the community wouldn't need to worry
> about their pages being removed for being in violation of a non-public
> policy they weren't aware of.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, Privatemusings is aware of the
proposals process.

If we did have the ability for non-members to edit the wiki, the
policies for editing it would need to be public.

A separate wiki has some advantages.

Another option is for non-members to be restricted to talk pages on
the main wiki.  This means they cant edit pages, but they can initiate
and participate in discussions about them.  Talk pages shouldn't
contain anything official.
A template like {{editrequested}} could be used to alert members to
suggestions made by non-members.

There are a lot of options here.

--
John Vandenberg