[Wikimediaau-l] Conroy - "Measures to improve safety of the internet for families"

private musings thepmaccount at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 04:45:51 UTC 2009

...I guess this topic is bound to come up - so no harm in a thread or two, I
reckon....
No doubt press commentary is worth a look ( see
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/net-censorship-move-a-smokescreen-expert-20091216-kw7d.html)
for example.
Dealing, as this proposal does, with solely 'RC' content (see
http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/0/A9975715C45E4DE8CA25700D002EF639/$file/Code+26+May_to+attach.pdffor
full description) - it seems to relate to child porn, and the
promotion
of crime / violence (that's the b) and c) points - the a) is a rather vague
'offend.. general standards.. reasonable adult' sort of thing - I'd like to
know a bit more about how it's currently implemented to pass comment)
I suspect that generally speaking, 'RC' content is pretty horrible, and
should be limited as much as possible. I also suspect that I have less faith
in both the technical structure of the proposed filtering, and the
faesability of appropriate list maintainance than Senator Conroy - so I'm
rather of the opinion that it probably won't work very well, and probably
won't deliver on the intention which ('assuming good faith' !) is to try and
stop Australian's accessing material we'd likely all agree they shouldn't
be.
Interestingly, I think it's possible that WMF projects do host 'Category 2
restricted' material (explicitly depict sexual or sexually related activity
between consenting adults in a way that is likely to cause offence to a
reasonable adult) but I don't really have any idea of the ramifications for
that - certainly it wouldn't seem relavent to the Conroy proposal at this
time....
cheers,
Peter,
PM.