[Wikimediaau-l] warning on the wiki

Sarah Ewart sarahewart at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 11:52:39 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Craig Franklin <craig at halo-17.net> wrote:

>  I believe that the chapter wiki uses a third-party extension so that we
> can access Commons.  In my experience, this extension is a bit flaky and
> sometimes causes problems.  I don’t have access to the code, but I’d say
> it’s trying (and failing) to open a connection to Commons to load the image,
> and it’s waiting until the remote call fails before it serves the page
> (which explains the lag).

We're using InstantCommons. I don't know if there's any problems related to
that, but we are having some tech problems. The members-db has been giving
404 errors since at least Friday (ironically I discovered it when I was
trying to update Andrew's (our volunteer sysop) membership status) and the
committee's email address committee at wikimedia.org.au has also been down
since last week. We've notified Andrew but I don't know what's happening and
the regularly downed email addresses is starting to be a really big problem.

-Sarah