[Wikimediaau-l] official wiki

Brian Salter-Duke b_duke at bigpond.net.au
Sat Dec 12 00:57:02 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 11:09:58AM +1100, Peter Halasz wrote:
> So lock those specific pages. Have you ever used Wikipedia? Do you
> think it would exist if they were worried only about representation?

I will try to respond to this debate, wearing my hat as Public Officer
of WMAU later, but for now let me just say that our official wiki is
not like wikipedia. It is much more like:

 http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Main_Page

As an incorporated association we have legal obligations to the
community via CAV, not only to the membership. This means the issue of
access is not simple and it requires thought.  There is also a real
tension here, not only about access. For example, there is also a
tension between the project's love of anonymity for users, with the
legal requirements imposed by imcorporating.

Cheers, Brian.