[Wikimediaau-l] Powerhouse goes Creative Commons

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 12:14:16 UTC 2009

Dear Chapters,

Some of you may be aware that Wikimedia Australia organised a tour of
the [[Powerhouse museum]] in Sydney recently which we called
"Backstage Pass". The principal purpose of this was to create a
relationship between our two communities based on mutual
understanding and learning what each groups' practices/policies are.

Both the museum and ourselves had a great day and learnt a lot. Just
yesterday they blogged about the event in great detail and in very
positive terms. http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/dmsblog/index.php/
2009/04/02/working-with-wikipedia-backstage-pass-at-the-powerhouse-
museum/

Then today, on the basis of this relationship, the announced this:
That they will be releasing under creative commons licenses *ever
single item in their catalogue*.
http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/dmsblog/index.php/2009/04/02/
powerhouse-collection-documentation-goes-creative-commons/

For example, this is their record and our record for the same object:
http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=7177
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulton_and_Watt_steam_engine_%
28Powerhouse_Museum%29

[Once we sort out the whole GFDL/CC-by-sa changeover] we can directly
copy/paste the complete description of the object. Considering the
many thousands of interesting objects that the museum houses there
are many potential Wikipedia article stubs that can be created
straight away. It must be noted that they are using a mixture of the
cc-by-sa license and the cc-by-nc license for different parts of
their records. As you can see in their blog post, this is an ongoing
discussion within the museum and they are still sorting out how to
deal with the photographs of these objects (for example). If we can
show the value of releasing what they have done already, by writing
good articles and respecting their different licenses, then it will
make the decision easier in the future to release even more :-)

Not only is this significant for the direct reason of improving our
content but, just as we talk to each other, you can be absolutely
sure that museums and galleries talk to each other too. With this
example now as the benchmark of what a museum can do I encourage you
to refer to this case as an example of "what is happening elsewhere"
when talking with museums in your own countries and cities.

Talk to you all soon,
-Liam

email: liamwyatt at gmail.com
skype: wittylama