[Wikimediaau-l] Quiet campaign on freely licensed politicians photos

Orderinchaos78 orderinchaos78 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 07:48:34 UTC 2008

Speaking personally, I've approached quite a few but with very limited
success. I'm certainly happy to help with the WA ones as I have quite a few
contacts here in both major parties and the Greens, and I'm particularly
happy we managed to get our Premier's photo within days of his election. The
main problem we face is that both politicians and the parties are not
terribly computer literate - I'm on a committee with one of them and they
refuse to use email for communication, we're still talking postal system
here! Also many of them have an instinctively self-protective urge due to
issues not just between the parties but within them as well. It's a
challenge but not one which, with a coordinated effort, would be beyond us.

I try to sell it as, so long as it complies with Wikipedia policies (i.e. is
neutral - a face and shoulders shot or whatever is great), they're releasing
a photo to us which is higher quality than anything our volunteers would be
able to snap themselves. Also gives a great opportunity to explain what
Wikipedia is about, demolish a few myths, and etc.

What would be useful from my point of view would be some sort of way we
could approach. Like I have the contacts, I just don't always know what to
say. If WMA could come up with a sort of semi-approved list of points we
should bring up, both promotions and warnings, it would probably increase
the number of available volunteers who could get such assistance.

cheers
Andrew