[Wikimediaau-l] 2008-11-09 ctte meeting minutes

Michael Bimmler mbimmler at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 13:12:17 UTC 2008

Jumping in here:  In Wikimedia CH we have basically two categories of
membership (ignoring members honoris causa): active members and
supporting members.  The former are voting members, the latter aren't.
 We decided (and thus provided for in our bylaws) that legal entities
can only become supporting members, i.e. they cannot vote.

At the moment, we have two or three minor IT companies as members as
well as the two big university libraries of Zurich -- the "Central
Library Zurich" (which is town, canton and university library) as well
as the library of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zürich
(ETH Zurich).  With the first library, we have been actively working
together on projects and they then decided to formally join us to
express their support.

Corporate members pay a fee of CHF 100 (or higher, if so wished),
which is a third more than individual supporting members (CHF 75) and
double the amount of the non-reduced fee for active members (CHF 50).

I think the chance that an organisation or corporation will "take
over" is small -- measures against it include not giving corporations
a vote (or solely 1 vote, notwithstanding their size),  setting a
symbolic (low) fee for membership and asking them to provide financial
support rather through donations than through membership fees.

BR,
Michael