[Wikimediaau-l] adopting a language project

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 16:51:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:10 AM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip/>
>
> However while we work up support for Aboriginal languages, perhaps we
> can hone our skills in this area by adopting a language project of a
> nearby country, or a language which has a large number of visitors,
> immigrants or refugees.  Individually most of us would be unlikely to
> get involved in these projects, as the learning curve is steep, but
> perhaps by working as a team, a small group with general interest in
> languages can learn a language together, falling back heavily on
> English communication channels, like a dedicated mailing list or a
> Wikiversity learning project, so as to not overburden the native
> speakers on "their" wiki.
>
> Here is a list of projects in the incubator:
>
> http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Another set of suitable projects occurred to me today when someone
added stats to this page:

http://wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:Languages

For example, Maori only has a single work, and it doesnt have a
license tag, so it is on shaky ground.

http://wikisource.org/wiki/Te_Hunga_Mahi

On Wikisource we can also start collecting texts relating to
Aboriginal topics and in Aboriginal languages.  There is one work that
I have been meaning to set up a transcription project for ...

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Index:An_Australian_language_as_spoken_by_the_Awabakal.djvu

The OCR is being uploaded, while we sleep.  There are more available
here if someone would find them more interesting:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Australian%20languages%22

--
John V