[Wikimediaau-l] adopting a language project

Peter Halasz qubero at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 21:04:39 UTC 2008

Tetum does sound like a good idea. For the sake of brainstorming I've listed
some other languages here...

Just as a point of reference, the most common languages spoken at home in
Australia are English (80%), Chinese (2.1%), Italian (1.9%), and Greek
(1.4%), Arabic, Serbian, French, Spanish, German, Macedonian, Croatian,
Polish, Turkish, Indigenous languages, Hindi, Maltese, Netherlandic,
Tagalog.

Focusing on refugees to Australia (offshore humanitarian visa grants
2007-08):
Top Ten Countries of Birth [1]: Burma/Myanmar (Burmese), Iraq, Afghanistan,
Sudan, Liberia, Congo (DRC), Burundi, Iran, Sierra Leone, Sri Lanka.

And there's also another Australian language, which only has loose ties with
English, and happens to be only language other than English I can hold a
conversation in. Auslan could make an interesting Wiktionary project. It's
in the same family as British Sign Language, but not related to American
sign language (ASL).

see also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Australia

[1] http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/60refugee.htm

Peter Halasz