[Wikimediaau-l] Aboriginal languages (reply)

Orderinchaos78 orderinchaos78 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 00:15:09 UTC 2008

> Yes, sadly there are dead aboriginal languages, but there are plenty of
> others that are not only alive, but are the first and primary language of
> many people.
>
> I saw a program on Four Corners* looking into the poor English literacy
> rates on the Tiwi Islands. The reason -- the children were instead literate
> in Tiwi -- their first language. To me that screams "opportunity for
> another
> language Wikipedia & Wiktionary".

Saw the same one :) Here in Perth and in the South West, Nyungar/Noongar is
very common, and in the far north (Kimberley region) two or three languages
are particularly common, as is a standardised Kriol (which is different to
other creoles of course due to different source languages and, oddly, the
influence of Malay and Mandarin which goes back a long way).

Oh and Alex - gmail doesn't easily allow one to change the topic and when I
do (such as now), I have to actually remember or guess at what the old topic
was. If gmail allowed folders I'd undigest it and set up a rule but
otherwise at times like the last few days I'd be getting a flood of little
emails.

cheers
Andrew