[Wikimediaau-l] Wikipedia and schools

Craig Franklin craig at halo-17.net
Sat Dec 13 05:31:52 UTC 2008

MessageWell, I just went through all the Australian Prime Minister articles to see what state they were in - I expect that we'd ideally want to include all of these if possible.  It took me about half an hour to do, although some of that was spent messing with templates and the like.  The results are here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Australia/Australian_Schools_Selection/Article_Assessment_Workspace

In addition to seeing what we ideally should include, it also gives a good idea on how good our coverage on this topic is (my verdict: good, but could be better).

How do I envision this being delivered?  Hopefully we can stick it on some hosting somewhere, put it under the WMAU domain name, and give teachers that address (hopefully getting it whitelisted by the various state education departments).  We then put prominently on the main page "There are 2.5 million more articles at http://en.wikipedia.org".

With that said, it's a fair chunk of work, although a good percentage of the legwork has been done by the team that put together the existing Schools Selection; it's an excellent base to build upon and they have really done a fantastic job.  To use an encyclopædia analogy, I see this project as an offering extra volume or two to a general encyclopædia for specifically Australian subjects.

So what has to be done?  Ideally, we find out what teachers and educators want, and include that content.  If any of those topics are poorly covered or not covered at all, we collaborate to improve that content (this is a benefit that flows back into the main WP project, as well).  Once we have our selection, we pick "good" revisions that do not have any vandalism, are properly cited, etc.  We make a copy of them somewhere (a private Wiki, perhaps), and remove anything WP-specific that doesn't make sense on a partial snapshot copy, such as disambig headers.  We also remove any unfree media that might be in the article.  We add in a link at the bottom of each page to the "live" version of the article on the main WP site.  We do any copyediting that has to be done.

Now, doing all this will be a pretty big job, but I'm sure its nothing we can't handle.  The big challenge at this point is talking to educators and finding out what they want.

In any case, I'm open to ideas, as I'm sure there are things I've not considered yet.  I don't have any special claims of ownership over this little mini-project, so if ýou're interested, please go and edit the page and jot down your own thoughts!

Cheers,
Craig

Craig Franklin
PO Box 1093