[Wikimediaau-l] Wikipedia and schools

private musings thepmaccount at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 02:17:00 UTC 2008

I (think / hope) that what I'm suggesting is certainly not censorship in any
way - more just the reasonable expectation that some of our content may
raise an eyebrow in schools - and that it's a good idea to be mindful of
this in our communications and work with them.

By way of further illustration, here's an example of a good faith
contributor at commons compiling a collection of some of his favourite
shots;

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:TwoWings/Fav#Sexy

I think we're all big enough and ugly enough to accept that there's nothing
wrong with this sort of thing, and that it's normal to enjoy eroticism - I
think it's also perfectly fair enough for schools to want to be a bit
careful with how they interact with this sort of material - maybe it's as
simple as saying 'look, there's actually quite a lot of images on various
wiki projects that you might not want your pupils to see / share / collect -
and here's how you can help achieve this' - back to the directed projects,
supervised access etc. I guess.....

best,

Peter
PM.

another example doing the rounds is this one - 'not safe for work';
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Shaved_genitalia_(female)

(by the way - if something's 'not safe for work' - presumably it's 'not safe
for schools' either? dunno!)