[Wikimediaau-l] question about membership + AGM 'slowpoke'

private musings thepmaccount at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 01:21:12 UTC 2008

(I think I'm finally learning some of the lingo of the interwebs (I guess
that should be 'teh interwebs' really, no?!) - I gather a 'slowpoke' is
something designed to gently keep focus on something... in this case just
the general desire to try and pencil in a date (or two, or three) for our
inaugural AGM.... I suggested two dates in October in my last post - any
thoughts?

This also led me on to another question for folk on this list.... I've been
involved recently in a fundraising dinner thing for another foundation, and
as such have been madly pressing flesh to persuade various folk to part with
their hard-earned.. In talking to a few people who are aware of my interest
in Wikipedia, I've mentioned the fact that Australia now has its own chapter
- and it was on the tip of my tongue to mention that they could support the
chapter by paying $40 to become a 'member' (in due course) - I didn't follow
through on that, because it occured to me that we may want to have a
discussion about whether or not there's any difference between 'membership'
and 'support' - whether or not we should be looking at a 'membership drive'
- or whether membership should represent a closer relationship to the
project than a regular internet consumers' familiarity with Wikipedia.

My gut instinct says that we should welcome as many members as possible, and
that becoming a member is actually quite a nice, tangible, way of offering
support... I'd be most interested to hear others' thoughts on this....

cheers,

Peter
PM.