[Wikimediaau-l] Wikimediaau-l Digest, Vol 26, Issue 17

Orderinchaos78 orderinchaos78 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 06:17:30 UTC 2008

I tend to agree with the views that have been expressed. The question is
what is Wikimania meant to be, and it seems that an exclusive rather than
inclusive mindset has pervaded the jury's considerations. How are we meant
to increase awareness of our activities if they insist on keeping it where
we are already popular? This would be like a Government launching an
election then campaigning only in its own safe seats and inviting only its
own supporters to hear their campaign - a bit pointless really. It seems to
almost go against the core aims of the Wikimedia Foundation. The front page
of the organisation's site states plainly: "*Imagine a world in which every
single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. That's our
commitment.". *Also, that it is *"dedicated to encouraging the growth,
development and distribution of free, multilingual content".*

Essentially the argument boils down to "We won't vote for a location because
it's inconvenient to ourselves." That's really quite unfair on the great
bulk of free content supporters who are not on the jury. It's also unfair to
cities which make good faith bids, engage with authorities and venues only
to find they can realistically never win because the jury is taking factors
other than merit into consideration.

There was even talk of offering us special scholarships as compensation, but
even that would not be fair as only the particular individuals selected to
go would get to share with a predominantly remote group, and even assuming
that a formal reporting process was anticipated, it would do little or
nothing for the furtherance of the Foundation's aims in Australia, South
East Asia, New Zealand or other regions.

The question then is what is Wikimania intended to be? That question can't
even be answered by accessing its page on either meta or en.