[Wikimediaau-l] Wikimania 2010 bid idea: joint-bid with iSummit?

Gnangarra gnangarra at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 14:23:34 UTC 2008

I find such a position disappointing

Knowing that such an issue exists is beneficial in that WM-au as priority
should be working on addressing the bias within the Foundation, along with
realising that any bid must have some component/sponsorship to reduce the
travel expenses.

There is nothing we can do about the travel time except to ensure that what
ever the host location that direct flights/or one stop flights are readily
available from both Europe and North America(pacific coast at least).

Gn

2008/8/23 Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com>

> 2008/8/23 Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com>:
> > On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 09:23, Andrew Garrett <andrew at epstone.net>
> wrote:
> http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org/wiki/Post-mortem/meeting_transcripts/2008-08-09
> >,
> >>
> >> Is Australia much worse than Taiwan?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > And strictly on a "how easy/cheap it is to get to Australia" kind of
> basis.
> > My sister lives in Melbourne, I don't even know her kids, so I don't
> > think I can be accused of not *wanting* to go to Australia. But the
> > thing is, I *can't*. It's too damn expensive. And I've been gathering
> > miles for the past 4 years (through Wikimanias :-)) to finally get one
> > ticket for free. I might be able to go next year. :)
> >
> > Taiwan from Europe, was around 650 euros. Australia at its best is
> > around 1200/1500 euros. Not to mention that it's really hard (and
> > would be sad) to go to Australia for only 4 days or so, since it takes
> > about that time to get tehre and back.
> >
> > I agree that session may have seemed "discriminating". But I urge you
> > not to take it as such. It's not "against" Australia, it's trying to
> > "make it more accessible for the majority". It is definitely unfair
> > for you guys, but it is a reality.
>
> Well good to know for sure now that "accessibility" means
> "accessibility for Europeans". Why not be explicit? Really, just tell
> people that 2010 is for Europeans. I think everyone would appreciate
> knowing where they stand.
>
> Brianna
>
> --
> They've just been waiting in a mountain for the right moment:
> http://modernthings.org/

GN.
http://gnangarra.redbubble.com/