[Wikimediaau-l] Wikimania 2010 bid idea: joint-bid with iSummit?

Craig Franklin craig at halo-17.net
Thu Aug 21 08:33:59 UTC 2008

Yes, I understand now why I was fobbed off by multiple members of the jury at the time when I asked what the main issues were with the Brisbane bid!  I'm disappointed, but not too surprised Its especially disappointing given that it was more or less agreed that we are "over-represented", because I really think that the AU community punches above its weight in terms of being strong contributors to the project.  Especially because there seems to be the impression that Egypt and Buenos Aires (which are fantastic destinations, don't get me wrong) are somehow "more accessible".

I was very enthusiastic about actually making the bid for 2010, but now I'm not so sure.  If we're just going to be dismissed out-of-hand by a bid committee dominated by North Americans and Europeans, I guess we should realise that we're not wanted and direct our energies to something more constructive.  If we're going to do a regional conference though (even with the board), I guess we should really ask ourselves what the purpose of such a gathering would be before we do anything else - while a meeting with all of you would be great I'm sure on a social level, I'm not sure that there's that much that would be achieved from getting us all together in the one room that we couldn't do through teleconferencing or on-wiki collaboration.

Craig Franklin
PO Box 1093
Toombul, Q, 4012
Australia