[Wikimediaau-l] Sydney meetup write up

Nick Jenkins nickpj at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 00:56:28 UTC 2008

> I thought some might be interested to hear a little news of the Sydney meetup last night in the esteemed environs of The Paragon
Hotel at Circular Quay....

Yeah, I had been meaning to send out a quick summary, and wrote this before reading Peter's a few mins ago, so apologies for the
overlap:

Quick summary of Sydney meetup:
* We wanted to pay our $40 membership fees to someone, anyone. Waiting on announcement of Wikimedia Australia bank details & payment
instructions so that we can transfer membership fees to correct account.
* Silly party hats worn to mark the 0th birthday of Wikimedia Australia. Pic:
http://files.nickj.org/images/wikimeetup/Sydney%20Wikimeetup%20Aug%202008%20with%20party%20hats.jpg
* Nominated/badgered Liam into being/running for some kind of Sydney/NSW representative as part of Wikimedia Australia.
* Heard about Wikimania in Egypt from Tim/Angela/Liam. Summary: "Hot, but not as hot an Cairo. No safety issues. Food was safe,
apart from a dodgy salad place in Cairo".
* Got freebie bookmarks and paper pads from the dictionaryofsydney.org
* Found out that Private Musing's mastermind/Einstein factor topic of expertise would be: "wikidrama as it relates to bannings,
blockings, admins, and general misdeeds & political machinations on the English Wikipedia".
* Next meetup may be run jointly with Wiki Wednesdays, perhaps in October. Private Musings to send a proposal to Liam that he can
then take to City of Sydney asking about using a meeting room after hours for this purpose.
* 4 of the 5 people would travel to Melbourne for a national wikicamp on a weekend in January, if such an event were held.
* From the silliness department: Things your laptop can reveal about you:
http://files.nickj.org/images/wikimeetup/Tim-googles-himself-busted.jpg ;-) Confession: Liam inserted the " is hot" part, so it's a
partial fake.

-- All the best,
Nick.