[Wikimediaau-l] Warringah council edit-war

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 15:42:22 UTC 2008

Morning all,

I've just checked the Sydney Morning Herald website and they've a
frontpage article discussing the upcoming local elections in NSW for
the division of Warringah (northern beaches of Sydney).
This is relevant because halfway down the article it talks about edit-
warring on en-wikipedia's article [[Warringah Council]]. Looking
through the recent history does indeed show a fair bit of changing by
anons and newly-created accounts. I've not seen anything previously
raising this as an article for concern so it is possible that the
reporter has been doing digging of his own and possibly been tipped
off by the protagonists.

I raise this just so that we might be aware of this as something that
might need to be kept an eye on. I'm watchlisting etc. Perhaps I
might request semi-protect if it continues.
Here's the article in the SMH: http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/
voters-get-angry-beaches-and-beyond-battle/2008/08/14/1218307119843.html
Here's the relevant wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Warringah_Council

I'm aware that WM-AU mailing list is probably not the best place to
discuss this but it seemed too minor to post at an admin noticeboard,
and it is Australia-specific so I thought we might be able to deal
with any potential problems "in house" as it were. I don't want to be
considered to be spamming the list, so tell me if I should have
notified elsewhere instead.

Best,
-Liam Wyatt

wikipediaweekly.org