No subject

Fri Sep 2 16:33:14 UTC 2011

    http://www.morgenpost.de/newsticker/dpa_nt/infoline_nt/computer_nt/arti=
cle1834082/Neuer-Wikipedia-Editor-soll-mehr-Frauen-locken.html

Other reads

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/11/st_essay_wikipediawonders/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-02/wikipedia-india-office-will-help-b=
oost-fundraising-founder-says.html

http://www.economist.com/node/21536580

=3D=3D=3D=3D Wikipedia Signpost =3D=3D=3D=3D

  * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/Archives/2011=
-11-07
  * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/Archives/2011=
-11-14
  * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/Archives/2011=
-11-21
  * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/Archives/2011=
-11-28

=3D=3D=3D=3D WMF Blog posts =3D=3D=3D=3D

http://blog.wikimedia.org/2011/11/

=3D=3D=3D=3D Media Contact =3D=3D=3D=3D

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_room/Media_Contact#November_2011

=3D=3D Human Resources =3D=3D

HR has accelerated recruiting as promised by adding another recruiter to
the mix. Karen Chelini is a very experienced recruiter, working with the
team primarily on the tech team's hires. She is a contractor and will be
with us through January.

We have several ongoing searches right now, including the CTCO role,
that are turning up some great candidates, so we hope to have more hires
rolling in soon. We continue to fill open slots, and this month there
were several key hires that we put a lot of work into. Welcome all!

We also reviewed and approved a new benefits broker for the Foundation
who has helped us find most cost efficient, and better, pricing for our
employee benefits. This is especially important as we grow not only to
remain competitive in the market, but to also ensure that we are in
compliance with labor laws that may have different requirements
depending on the size of our organization.

New Perm Position Hires

  * Karyn Gladstone, Director of Community Operations (Community)
  * Yue Qiang (Benny) Situ, Features Software Developer Back-end
    (Technology)
  * Andrew White, Office IT Manager (Administration)

New Contractors

  * Karen Chelini
  * Miguel Fonseca
  * Diogo Gouveia
  * Jami Mathewson
  * Rob Moen
  * Sara Oliveira
  * Linda Pennington
  * Crystal Shackleford
  * Gayle Young

Contract Extended

  * Aaron Halfaker
  * Sumana Harihareswara
  * Rayne MacGeorge
  * Jonathan Morgan
  * Guillaume Paumier
  * Neel Punatar
  * Angela Robeson
  * Heather Walls
  * Daniel Zahn

Departed

  * Moka Pantages
  * Carrie Smith

Contract Ended

  * Daniela Fiej=C3=B3
  * Anthony Riley
  * Sara Yap

New Postings

  * Mobile Partner Development Technical Manager
  * Director of Human Resources

RFPs

  * Brazil Education Program Contractor
  * Brazil National Program Director
  * Global Education Program Online Communications Contractor

Total Employee Count

    November Plan: 108, November Filled: 3, November Attrition: 2
    YTD Filled: 24; YTD Attrition: 8, Actual: 90

Remaining Open positions to fiscal year end: 27

Real-time feed for HR updates: http://identi.ca/wikimediaatwork or
http://twitter.com/wikimediaatwork

=3D=3D Finance and Administration =3D=3D

  * The audited financial statements of the Wikimedia Foundation and
    frequently asked questions for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2011
    were posted <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Financial_reports>
    to the Wikimedia Foundation website.

  * Andrew White has joined the team as the Manager of Office
    Information Technology

  * Getting ready for the Finance office to take over payroll from Human
    Resources as of the first payroll in January with ADP as our new
    payroll provider

  * Leslie has begun the upgrading conference room R33 on the 3rd floor
    to make it more usable for the Technology team.

  * Brittany (a work-study student) has begun the organization of the
    Foundation library to make it more usable.

=3D=3D Legal =3D=3D

  * General Counsel traveled with Sue in Europe to learn more about
    chapters and communities.
  * Investigating the suspicious deaths of thousands of turkeys in the
    United States near the end of the month
  * Engaging in a privacy review with the possibility of updating our
    privacy policy
  * Interviewing for our legal internship program for the Spring semester
  * Starting review of legal issues related to setting up in Brazil
  * Working on internal governance efficiencies with Finance
  * C&D program for trademark enforcement
  * Engagement of pro-bono counsel for maintenance of 501(c)(3) status
    and corporate governance
  * Interesting movies trademark licenses issued (e.g., Girl with the
    Dragon Tattoo, Friends with Benefits, Seven Psychopaths)
  * Strong support of fundraiser as well as work on Brazil and India
    catalysts
  * Ongoing implementation of 2011-2012 legal strategy

  * number of contracts signed - 12
  * number of trademark requests - 7

        approved - 2
        denied - 1
        approval not needed - 1
        pending - 3

=3D=3D Visitors and Guests =3D=3D

 1. Susan Lyster (Egencia)
 2. Beverly Ho (Thoughtworks)
 3. Hai Ton (Thoughtworks)
 4. Tom Staut (CEO, Global Collect)
 5. Pier Iberti (Global Collect)
 6. Carl Miller (Global Collect)
 7. Patrick Dennis (Paul Hastings)
 8. Benjamin Mako Hill (Advisory Board Member)
 9. Newyorkbrad (ArbCom)
10. Coren (ArbCom)
11. Karen Rustad (author of a paper on outreach and diversity in FOSS
    communities
    <http://littlegreenriver.com/stuffs/Outreach-Diversity-FOSS.html>)

--=20
Tilman Bayer