[Wikimedia Announcements] Offline blog post

Jessie Wild jwild at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 16 22:59:14 UTC 2011

Just wanted to draw your attention to the blog post that went out today
regarding offline:
http://blog.wikimedia.org/

Feel free to leave comments either there or on this list!

Best,
Jessie

***
*Update on Offline Wikipedia Projects *

The last week was a big week for expanding offline Wikipedia
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Offline_Projects> work.

Right now, /offline/ refers to supporting read access to Wikimedia
content without an Internet connection.  This increases the reach of the
Wikipedia movement by providing more opportunities for people all over
the world to access the materials.  Some of the recent initiatives
surrounding this project were documented in Wikimedia's tech blog
<http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2011/01/update-on-offline-wikimedia-projects/>
about a month ago (for more detail regarding the purpose for offline
work, see the offline strategy
<http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Offline> page).

In support of our offline readership work, we're thrilled to announce
the launch of a new feature on Wikipedia developed with our partners
from PediaPress <http://pediapress.com/>.  Last week we enabled openZim
<http://openzim.org/Main_Page> (the main file format in which offline
materials are stored) export for the existing PediaPress collections
extension on English Wikipedia and numerous other wikis.  This means
that individuals can now use the existing PediaPress Create a book
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Books> tool and download it in a
format which can be read offline (via an offline reader, such as Kiwix
<http://kiwix.org/index.php/Main_Page>).  This is important because it
opens new avenues for the creation of offline materials, for example, an
openZim library hosting different offline "book" options.

Also, the English offline collection Wikipedia 0.8
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Version_0.8>was made officially
available
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Version_0.8/downloads>, after
much hard work by the Wikipedia 1.0 Editorial Team
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Version_1.0_Editorial_Team>.
  This collection is an iteration in the process of developing a vetted
collection of offline articles selected based on their quality and
topical importance.  The main constraint with an offline product is the
data size restrictions: the entirety of Wikipedia must somehow be
condensed so that it fits on a CD, DVD, or USB stick.  Wikipedia 1.0
aims at creating the highest quality and most valuable subset of
Wikipedia to meet those size requirements, and v0.8 is a precursor.
  Wikipedia 0.8 is a general collection of just under 50K articles, It
is available for Mac, PC, or Linux with a Linux or Okawix reader; some
mobile phone versions will be available later this month as well.

More updates are sure to come on this offline front: Wikimedians around
the world are actively assisting in the development of offline
collections as well as distribution.  We are excited to support and
document the momentum going forward.

Jessie Wild, Global Development