[Wikimedia Announcements] Wikipedia's 10th anniversary

Steven Walling swalling at wikimedia.org
Tue Nov 16 23:29:59 UTC 2010

Hi all,

As a few of you know, I have a fellowship in the Wikimedia
Foundation's Community Department, working for Chief Community Officer
Zack Exley on a variety of projects. One of these projects is making
Wikipedia's 10th anniversary one to remember by supporting Wikimedians
who want to celebrate online and off.

To that end, we've opened up a new space for collaboration at http://ten.wikipedia.org/
. Many thanks to the editors who've already showed up to participate.
For who haven't had a chance to explore it yet, we started the wiki
for four core activities, which are outlined in our FAQ (http://ten.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAQ
). They are:

1. Gathering a single, detailed list of events that we can point
interested people to.
2. Hosting some interesting ways to reflect on the anniversary online,
across Wikipedia communities. If you have ideas for celebrating, this
is the place to share them.
3. Providing resources for organizers, including a press kit, freely-
licensed designs that can be localized, and instructions on how to get
a free set of t-shirts, stickers, buttons etc. for your event.
4. A place to document everything. This wiki will be a great place to
look back and see what we did to celebrate our first double digit
anniversary.

Hopefully that gives you a better idea of what we're working on. As
usual, please be bold and join in! If you have questions that can't be
answered on the wiki or mailing list (https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikix-l
), I am your best point of contact.

Thanks for reading,

Steven Walling
[[User:Steven (WMF)]] on ten.wikipedia.org