[Wikimedia-l] RE : Moving the technical infrastructure out of the US

Pascal Martin pmartin at linterweb.fr
Thu Oct 1 20:57:18 UTC 2020

Good evening Antoine,

France is a country full of laws which are not respected, it is the old continent that you want :)
Ex: it was not until 2013 that women could wear pants in Paris, and I assure you that women wore pants before that date.

https://www.liberation.fr/france/2013/02/04/le-pantalon-n-est-plus-interdit-pour-les-parisiennes_879145

More seriously and from my personal experience for which for more than 12 years the data of all the projects of the WMF and in all the languages ​​as well as the content of the source links are hosted at Criann, the Criann and I even have never had any problem in court.

Regarding confidentiality, my servers are locked in a room which is also locked; only authorized persons can physically access the server rooms which are partitioned.

>From my point of view, I think the risk is to be measured by the Criann, because we are talking about making Wikipedia resilient, if the Criann accepts the risk apart from controversies there will be only that.

Even so, I think it is for the wikipedia community to rule on this point, even if the mandate of the WMF is to host Wikipedia, it does not say that the community is not positioning itself for a less centralized system. than today.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Community_Wishlist_Survey

And to change the law in France, I think that given that the Criann depends on the President of the Region:

<Reality>
Maybe le criann can try giving a call to french president of the region normandie and see whether
some arrangement can be made: -]
</ Reality>