[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing interim COO

Gayle Karen Young gaylekaren at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 20:55:02 UTC 2015

Dear colleagues,

It was a difficult decision to leave the Wikimedia Foundation as its CTCO.
Some of my best memories of my time with the Wikimedia movement include the
privilege of interacting and learning from Wikipedians at the Chapters
Conferences and Wikimanias in D.C., Hong Kong, and London, for which I’m so
grateful. As much as the learnings are the memories -- I have these
beautiful snapshots in my mind of dancing with Wikipedians on the beach in
Hong Kong, singing  “I Will Revise
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/I_Will_Revise>” off-key at the top of my
lungs, and I’m very clear that one hasn’t ever properly done karaoke if
they’ve not experienced it with the Germans.

Thank you for teaching me what it is to be part of a global movement, to
respect differences in thoughts and opinions when they are in service of
this beautiful mission we have - of moving from imagining to creating a
world where people can freely access the sum of all knowledge through
collaboration. I’ve been very humbled and I have learned so much from the
dedicated volunteers in our movement.

My personal commitment to our mission stands, so if ever anyone seeks
counsel or thought partnership on leadership issues, people, or diversity
issues in the movement, I’ll be a happy volunteer.

The road goes ever on and on. Live long and prosper.

Gayle Karen Young

GayleKaren at Gmail.com

Gayle Karen Young
gaylekaren at gmail.com  |  415.310.8416