[Wikimedia-l] Community consultation + Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director selection process

Jan-Bart de Vreede jdevreede at wikimedia.org
Fri Jan 31 23:28:57 UTC 2014

Hi All,

Just to react to a few points in this discussion.

1) We did get a lot of community input for connectors and potential candidates (thank you all for that). We used this list and approached people where we felt this was useful, and this also generated some interesting leads.

2) For all our “potentials” we have a screening process. That means that a large part will never be contacted as a potential candidate, simply because they are not close to matching the profile. We might still approach them as a connector if we feel that this will help us reach other “potentials”. If you suggested a name, that person might very well not be contacted at all.

3) The transition team will not be publishing/discussing the merits (or identity) of any of the people which we have contacted in any public forum like this mailing list. (for all the reasons mentioned in this thread) Our intend is that we will involve the community where we feel it is possible and desirable.

4) Even if candidates have publicly announced their interest in the position we will respect point 3. I do want to publicly state my gratefulness to those candidates that have decided to invest in applying for the position, even if we do not end up selecting them.

Jan-Bart de Vreede
Chair
Wikimedia Board of Trustees.

PS: There also seems to be some confusion about the re-appointment process for the founders seat on the Board. Just to confirm: the founders seat is also up for reappointment every two years. Referring you the minutes of our last meeting (https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Minutes/2013-11-24) you will see that a vote took place on this.