[Wikimedia-l] Community consultation + Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director selection process

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 20:55:29 UTC 2014

Craig Franklin wrote:
> it would be grossly unprofessional for Erik, Jan-Bart, or anyone else
> to publicly discuss the relative merits of people who may or may not
> be involved in a confidential hiring process....

No, the Board resolved to "consult the community as necessary to
assist with identifying, evaluating, and selecting candidates" as per
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Appointing_and_authorizing_a_transition_committee_in_the_search_of_a_new_Executive_Director

How is it possible for the community to evaluate and select candidates
without a transparent discussion of their individual merits? There is
nothing which requires confidentiality in the hiring process. What
would be unprofessional would be if the Board doesn't follow through
with their own resolution, but we all know how well the resolution to
maximize financial support of the projects fares as soon as the
budgeted fundraising goal is reached since a couple years ago.

We should be discussing the merits of individual candidates in the open.