[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Fwd: Wikimedia UK monthly report, December 2013

Stevie Benton stevie.benton at wikimedia.org.uk
Wed Jan 29 13:12:27 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

Below is the Wikimedia UK monthly
report<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Reports> for
the period 1st to 31st December 2013. If you want to keep up with the
chapter's activities as they happen, please subscribe to our
blog<http://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/>
, join a UK mailing
list<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l>,
and/or follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/wikimediauk>. If you have
any questions or comments, please drop us a line on this report's talk
page<https://wikimedia.org.uk/w/index.php?title=Talk:Reports/2013/December&action=edit&redlink=1>
.

If you prefer to see the report on wiki, you can do so here -
https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Reports/2013/December

Thanks and regards,

Stevie

 Program activities GLAM activities
Editathons Art Nouveau

On the 4th December we had an Art Nouveau
editathon<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Symbolism_and_Art_Nouveau/London_Editathon>
partnering
with Plus Partage. This gave us the opportunity to tap into the expertise
of a volunteer whose real life job involves valuing Art Nouveau objects for
Christies.
 BCS Women in Science

On the 9th December John Cummings ran an editathon in
Southampton<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/BCS_Women_Wikipedia_editathon_December_2013>
covering
Women in Science.
Image uploading

The British Library announced a major image release of circa 1 million
images.

The massuploading tool went live on Commons and is now available for live
testing - unlike most of our existing tools it has the ability to generate
categories from data in xml databases. So a non-programmer can use it to
upload hundred thousands of files without having every file in an upload go
into the same categories.
Wikimedians in Residence Royal Society

WMUK and the Royal Society were delighted to announce the appointment of
John Byrne as Wikimedian in
Residence<https://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2013/12/royal-society-appoints-wikimedian-in-residence/>.
John takes up his post in January.
 York Museums Trust

Pat Hadley published his second
report<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/YMT/2nd_Month_Report>
highlights
included image release re the Middleham Hoard, also the first of the
Tempest Anderson photos were uploaded.
 Education and expert outreach Menai Llandrillo College

On the 20th, Robin Owain and Aled Powell presented to 27 IT lecturers at
the college, outlining Wikimedia projects, the work in Wales and looking at
how colleges are opening their doors to wiki editing skills and open
content.

Software Alliance Wales has also started to train the community in wiki
editing skills, thanks to the Living Paths Project, in Wales, with 8 of
their lecturers having been trained by Robin at Llanelli and Dolgellau. SAW
trainers will now pass on these skills to the wider community, and the
first full day took place at Lampeter on the 10th at the University.
 Other activities
Wiki Loves Monuments

10th December saw the awards ceremony for the winners of the Wiki Loves
Monuments UK photography competition take place at the Wikimedia UK
office<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Office>.
The event coincided with the charity's community Christmas party and was
attended by over thirty people.

Wiki Loves Monuments is the world's largest photography contest. The
objective is to collect high quality photographs of some of the world's
most important buildings - in the UK for 2013, this meant Grade I and Grade
II* listed buildings. Over 570 people took part in the UK competition,
contributing more than 12,000 photos to Wikimedia Commons.

Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia, said: "It's fantastic that so many
people took the time to contribute their photos to the Wiki Loves Monuments
competition. The standard of the winning images is incredibly high and I'm
very pleased to be able to present the winners with their awards."

Robin Brown, who received a highly commended prize for his photo of Wrest
Park Banqueting
House<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/File:Wrest_Park_Banqueting_House.jpg>
said:
"I'm still trying to decide if I am more delighted to have a glass trophy
for the mantelpiece or in having my image selected by an exceptionally
talented group of my peers for an award. I think it's probably the latter
though."
 Microgrants

Information about microgrants that are currently running, and how to submit
a microgrant application of your own, are at
Microgrants/Applications<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Microgrants/Applications>
.

Blog posts this month

   - Reaching into the past: Working with Wikipedia and
students<https://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2013/12/reaching-into-the-past-working-with-wikipedia-and-students/>
(2
   December)
   - Wikimedia Foundation launches tenth-annual online fundraising campaign
   to support Wikipedia<https://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2013/12/wikimedia-foundation-launches-tenth-annual-online-fundraising-campaign-to-support-wikipedia/>
(4
   December)
   - Michael Maggs takes over as Chair of Wikimedia
UK<https://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2013/12/michael-maggs-takes-over-as-chair-of-wikimedia-uk/>
(9
   December)
   - Wikipedia supporters share their love of free
knowledge<https://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2013/12/wikipedia-supporters-share-their-love-of-free-knowledge/>
(11
   December)
   - Royal Society appoints Wikimedian in
Residence<https://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2013/12/royal-society-appoints-wikimedian-in-residence/>
(19
   December)

Upcoming activities in December, January and February December

   - *01* - Glasgow meetup<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Glasgow/3> to
   coincide with The Electron Club's Open Day
Social<http://www.citystrolls.com/>
   - *02* - Using Wikimedia to link research impact and open
education<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Expert_outreach/Jisc_Ambassador/Research_impact_and_open_education>
-
   workshop for staff in Newcastle University
   - *02* - Training session for librarians and archivists at The Glasgow
   School of Art<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Training_session_for_librarians_and_archivists_at_The_Glasgow_School_of_Art>
   - *03* - Medical Research Council Women in Science event,
Edinburgh<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Women%27s_History/The_Royal_Society_of_Edinburgh_2013>
   - *03* - Nexters and KPMG
event<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Nexters_and_KPMG_event_3_December_2013>
   - *04* - Art Nouveau editathon in
London<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Symbolism_and_Art_Nouveau/London_Editathon>
   - *07* - Chester meetup<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Chester/2>
   - *07-08* - Board meeting <https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Agenda_7Dec13>
    (Edinburgh)
   - *07* - Evening Board and community social
(Edinburgh)<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/December_2013_Board_and_community_social>
   - *08* - London meetup <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/London/76>
   - *09* - British Computer Society Women editathon in
Southampton<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/BCS_Women_Wikipedia_editathon_December_2013>
   - *10* - Photography
training<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/December_2013_Photography_Workshop>
at
   Wikimedia UK office 1.30-3.30pm
   - *10* - WLM awards
ceremony<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/WLM_awards_ceremony> and
   Wikimedia UK office open day 4pm - 8pm
   - *15* - Oxford meetup <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Oxford/11>

January

   - *07* - Tech Com
meeting<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/IT_Development/Progress_meetings#2013>
   - *12* - London meetup <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/London/77>
   - *18* - Speakerthon: uploading voice samples from the Radio 4 archive
   to Wikipedia<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:BBC_voice_project>
   - *18* - Women in zoology and natural history editathon at London
Zoo<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/ZSL_Editathon>
   - *19* - Oxford meetup <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Oxford/12>
   - *25* - Anybody but Burns
editathon<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Anybody_but_Burns_editathon>,
   Edinburgh
   - *26* - Swansea Editathon and Wiki
training<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Swansea/1>
   - *26* - Manchester
meetup<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Manchester/21>

February

   - *01* - TaPRA Wikipedia
Workshop<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/TaPRA_Wikipedia_Workshop_February_2014>
-
   London
   - *01-02* - Training the Trainers/February 2014
event<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Training_the_Trainers/February_2014_event>
-
   Cardiff
   - *04* - Tech Com
meeting<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/IT_Development/Progress_meetings#2014>
   - *05* - UEA Wikipedia Workshop for PhD
Students<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/UEA_Wikipedia_Workshop_February_2014>
-
   Norwich
   - *09* - London meetup <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/London/78>
   - *15* - Cambridge
meetup<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Cambridge/21>
   - *16* - Oxford meetup <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Oxford/13>
   - *17-21* - Wikipedia Takes
UCL<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Wikipedia_Takes_UCL> -
   London
   - *21* - National Maritime Museum Cornwall <http://www.nmmc.co.uk/> &
   Cornish GLAMs one day workshop - Falmouth,
contact:Fæ<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Special:EmailUser/F%C3%A6>
   - *26* - Wellcome Library
editathon<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Wellcome_Library_editathon>
   - *27-28* - Ally Crockford<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ACrockford>
    at The EDGE Conference <http://edgeconference.co.uk/> - Edinburgh

For events in March 2014 and onwards, please see
Events<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Events>
.
 Administrative activities Board activities

The December board meeting was held in Edinburgh on 7th and 8th December.
The venue for the first day was the National Library of Scotland and on the
second day was 19 George Square. There was a social event on the Saturday
evening where the board were able to meet Scottish Wikimedians. The minutes
for both days of the meeting are now available online
here<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Minutes_7Dec13>
 and here <https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Minutes_8Dec13>. It was the first
board meeting for Carol Campbell, Simon Knight, Padmini Ray Murray, Joseph
Seddon, and Kate West. During the meeting Chris Keating stood down as chair
of the board and Michael Maggs was elected in his place.
 Communications

Please see the above links to relevant press coverage received in December
and blog posts published during the same period. In other news, Wikimedia
UK is in negotiations with the BBC to develop a memorandum of understanding
which could lead to some very worthwhile collaborations. Work to develop
the open coalition continues. Wikimedia UK has agreed to fund a short-term
part-time project manager to expand upon this work. While funded by WMUK,
other groups such as Creative Commons, Open Knowledge Foundation and
Mozilla are also involved in the work. Details of the role will follow in
January. The chapter also signed the Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU
statement of intent, joining seven other European chapters. Simon Knight
and Stevie both presented at the Nexters / KPMG event for education, social
and tech entrepreneurs.

If you're interested in getting more involved with our communications or
have any questions or comments, please email Stevie Benton -
stevie.benton at wikimedia.org.uk
 Fundraising and Membership Fundraising

This month, we received £1,352.00 in one-off donations, with 55 individual
donations. The average donation amount was £24.58 - 42% of these donors
have had Gift Aid Declarations made and matched with their records. If
anyone would like a full (but anonymised) csv file with more information,
please get in touch with katherine.bavage[image: at]wikimedia.org.uk and
let her know your requirements.

There were 5,020 successful direct debits this month, bringing in a total
of £20,889.02
Membership

Up to 31st December 2013 there were 237 members of the charity eligible to
vote.

You can view more detailed membership data
here<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Membership/Numbers>
 Visitors to the office this month

The office received 78 visitors this month.

--

Stevie Benton
Head of External Relations

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a
global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the
Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

*Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal
control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*