[Wikimedia-l] Community consultation + Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director selection process

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Wed Jan 29 08:00:43 UTC 2014

Hello dear all, hello Transition Team, hello dear board,

I am still willing to take the challenge.

Looking into the description of the search criteria:

<cite>Key to the success of the Executive Director will be a commitment
to understand and advance Wikimedia's core values.</cite>
- In many occasions in the past years I have demonstrated that the core
values of our movement are part of my life. They are the values that I
use to guide my behavior and my decisions, not only inside of the
movement, but also in my professional work and in my personal life.

<cite>The Executive Director will need to have the technology management
and product development skills to effectively lead a high traffic
website, and experience designing and implementing planning processes
with a high built-in assumption of fast and iterative change.</cite>
- In the past 16 years I worked in a company which like no other IT
companies had decisively contributed into the establishment of standards
and processes of the industry. I started in that company as a programmer
on the OS (Assembler and C++) level and moved with the time into the
position of technical lead of projects that are set into highly
complicated political contexts. Being a subject matter expert, I am the
anchor with facts and expertise between the different political
interests and streams, build trust with my open and direct communication
style to all groups and parties and move things forward by understand
the background of the different interests and so build bridges and
provide solutions that address those backgrounds directly. These are the
skills and personal marks that brought me there where I am now: Into the
core of those troubled projects.

<cite>He or she will need to have exceptional communication skills, and
to possess both a drive to achieve transformative results and a deep
respect for collaborative processes. The ED's ability to effect change
in partnership with Wikimedia's community will be decisive not just to
their success, but to Wikimedia's lasting impact in the 21st century.</cite>
- As I have stated in my resign letter from the board, I believe this is
indeed the most intriguing, most urgent and most difficult part of the
work that lay directly before us in the next decade. And for this we
need, more than anyone else inside of the movement, an ED who is really
trusted by the community (to which I count the readers, the editors, the
affiliated organizations, their board and staff, the staff of the
Foundation, and the board). Gain trust is hard work, build trust needs
time. It took me long time, two or three years, to build that mutual
trust with many of the people within our movement. And trust is the
thing that thwart the belief that the process has the luxury of time.
Because with the lasting of indecisive time the trust sinks and the
anxiouty raises.

As it is remarked at one point, there is no obvious career path that
leads to this position. After seeing the result of last year's search I
am strengthend in my belief, that I am the best fit for this position.

Greetings
Ting