[Wikimedia-l] Annoucement from the Executive Director of Wikimedia Argentina

Osmar Valdebenito osmar at wikimedia.org.ar
Tue Jan 28 16:59:53 UTC 2014

Dear members of the Wikimedia Movement:

In the past weeks, I've taken the decision to resign to my position of
Executive Director of Wikimedia Argentina. This decision was presented to
the Board of the chapter past Saturday and it was accepted.

For personal and professional reasons, I've decided to return to my
country, Chile, in the following weeks and start a new stage of my life.
Two years ago, I was presented with the opportunity of living in Argentina
and working for one of my passions. This was a big challenge for me: I had
to leave my country and my family and work in a foreign country. These last
18 months have been a unique experience and I've learnt a lot, becoming a
better professional and a more mature person. However, at the same time I
feel that I need to move on and continue with new projects and challenges.

Certainly, this has not been an easy decision for me, because I'm very fond
of this work, the people that have participated in our activities and the
projects we worked on and we are still working on.

I leave the Association in a very different position than when I took
office. We have several ongoing projects and we regularized all the delayed
paperwork. We became the first organization from a developing country to
get an Annual Plan Grant via FDC and have been one of the best-graded
chapters in both processes. We are now a reliable and serious organization,
continuing a process of professionalization that can improve our programs,
making them more efficient and more effective. Clearly, this has not been
only due to my work, which is why I thank the Board of the Chapter that
helped me in everything and to MarĂ­a Cruz, which has been a great colleague
these months.

My main interest is that Wikimedia Argentina continues to grow, which is
why we have decided that my departure occurs at the end of March. This will
allow us to work calmly to ensure the continuity of the ongoing projects of
Wikimedia Argentina and the transfer of knowledge once the new Executive
Director takes office. In any case, I will continue to participate as a
member and Wikimedia volunteer, once this period expires. By request of our
Board, I will also attend the next Wikimedia Conference, so I will be able
to transmit the experiences of Wikimedia Argentina in the last year.

I appreciate the trust placed in me by the Board and all the members of
Wikimedia Argentina and their support all these months. I'm sure they will
continue the great work we have done lately.

Kind regards,

*Osmar Valdebenito G.*
Director Ejecutivo
A. C. Wikimedia Argentina