[Wikimedia-l] [Advocacy Advisors] European Commission Copyright Consultation

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Tue Jan 28 08:00:18 UTC 2014

I've spent a good chunk of the day reading through the first 31 questions;
the comments on meta about those questions, and the responses proposed by
Dimi and others at http://youcan.fixcopyright.eu/en/full/?guide=wikimedia

All the comments essentially agree, with only some small variations. Since
we don't have any serious splits of opinion, I think the idea of a combined
answer that represents this as the opinion of the Foundation makes sense.
(Not clear to what extent we should also represent this as the opinion of
Wikimedians - opinions welcome on that.)

With that goal in mind, I've drafted proposed answers to each question,
which incorporate comments from (among others) Seb35, Deryck C., Sapfan,
NaBUru38, Aktron, and Kaldari.

I think the best place to discuss individual answers is in the talk pages,
so I'll start uploading those shortly. I've also more-or-less copied this
email into
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:European_Commission_copyright_consultation#Goals_and_next_stepsif
people prefer to discuss there.

Luis

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 2:09 AM, Michael Maggs <Michael at maggs.name> wrote:

> It's not clear to me what will be done with the answers proposed so far at
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/European_Commission_copyright_consultation
>
> Will  they be submitted as they are, or is someone proposing to merge them
> into a single version (even though many answers have been signed)?
>
> Also unclear unless I have missed something is who will the answers be
> submitted by, and on whose behalf?  Only individuals - and not the
> Foundation nor chapters - have formally posted answers so far, so is the
> intention that the answers will be submitted by and on behalf of those
> individuals only?
>
> The page says that the response "*can be submitted by the Wikimedia
> Foundation and other interested groups*", so perhaps the answers are
> merely intended as a resource others can use if they wish?
>
> If the intention is that a formal response will be submitted on behalf of
> the unincorporated group *Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU*, then it
> would be sensible for that group to register with the
> EU Transparency Register, here:
>
> http://ec.europa.eu/transparencyregister/info/homePage.do?locale=en
>
> According to the EU, responses to the consultation from non-registered
> entities will "*be published separately from the registered
> organisations"*, which may mean less influence. See:
>

> http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/consultations/2013/copyright-rules/index_en.htm
>
> (I note that the Foundation is not registered!)
>
> By the way, WMUK will be completing and filing its own separate response.
>
> Michael
>

> From: Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov <dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com>
> Date: 21 January 2014 14:51
> Subject: [Wikimedia-l] European Commission Copyright Consultation
>

> Hi everyone,
>
> Just a quick reminder that we have 6 more days to collaboratively draft
> answers to the European Commission's copyright consultation.
>
> The idea is to give the global, online community a chance to come up with
> answers that, if coherent enough, can then be officially given to the
> Commission.
>
> We see this as a social experiment, since no one until now has ever
> attempted to answer collaboratively and publicly such short-termed and
> in-depth consultations.
>
> The corresponding link is:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/European_Commission_copyright_consultation
>
> Have fun answering!
>
> Dimi

Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6810

NOTICE: *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.*