[Wikimedia-l] [Wiki Loves Monuments] New Program Evaluation report: Wiki Loves Monuments

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 22:18:31 UTC 2014

Hi Jaime.
Your inline replying format highly confuses me, but I tried to
reconstruct what you meant to say and I believe it's what below.

Jaime Anstee, 25/01/2014 20:19:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 6:10 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
 >
>> Is "active editor retention" a metric defined somewhere?
>> It's not in <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:WMF_
>> standardized_editor_classes>.  [...]
>
> Yes -
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Analytics/Metric_definitions#Active_editor
>
> Thank you for asking, and mentioning that it is not linked in the
> section.  I will reference that link there.

I know what an "active editor" is, you'll see in the history that I
contributed to the section you linked. I asked about the "rate of active
editor retention" as Asaf called it, or... "Six-month follow-up Active
second quarter of retention follow-up" (??) as mentioned in the page.
Apart from the confusing terminology, you'll note that it doesn't match
with the (draft?) definition
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Surviving_new_editor> even
with non-standard n=1, m=15, t_2=90 days and t_1 < 0 unless you
arbitrarily pose T = end of September. You may want to align definitions
a bit.

> I would like to point out that
> the overview page to the set of reports does contain a lot of important
> information about how things were defined and are reported in each programs
> evaluation report.

If you mean
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Programs:Evaluation_portal/Library/Overview#Recruitment_and_retention>,
it doesn't contain any definition for the metric.

Nemo